Since 1990 when Cameroon made great strides reaching the quarter finals of FIFA’s World cup, African counties have featured far more at world football’s top table.
Although, no African team has gone beyond the quarter finals of the world cup, individual players from the continental have been recognized for the exploits and talents in football.
According to Footendirect, Cameroon legend Samuel Eto’o is the richest African footballer with a networth of $202m while Cote d’Ivoire’s Yaya Toure came second with $170m.
Didier Drogba is 3rd on the list with a networth of $155m. Despite retiring in 2008, former Super Eagles captain, Austin Jay Jay Okocha is number four on the Africa’s richest list while another Super Eagles’ legend came 5th with $100m.
Here is the top 10 richest African player list:
- Samuel Eto’o/Antalyaspor : $202m
- Yaya Touré/Manchester City : $170m
- Didier Drogba/Montreal : $155m
- Jay-Jay Okocha : $150m
- Nwankwo Kanu : $100m
- Michaël Essien/Panathinaïkos : $70m
- Emmanuel Adebayor/Crystal Palace : $57m
- Obi Mikel/Chelsea : $50m
- Kolo Touré/Liverpool : $43m
- Sulley Muntari/Al-Ittihad : $40m